‘Art is what takes Kiez Burn from just being another festival to being an amazing, unique event.’
Final Art Grant Form Now Open!
We’ve opened our Art Grant Application to apply for an art grant for installations, performance art and workshops.
What is considered art?
Art includes things that make Kiez Burn better, more interactive and more beautiful. Things like installations, art cars, musical and dance performances, and workshops can be included here. Kiez Burn is made by our community — if you think you have something to contribute, you probably do!
Can I get help to make my vision possible?
Yes! Last year, we gave more than 10% of our budget to artists to build things like The Box, Rusty the Mutant Vehicle, and Sauna nah nah. This year, we will have even more financial support to give out on a first come, first serve basis.
I’m in. What’s next?
The idea form has now closed. In order to apply for an art grant, you will need to fill out the above form, which includes a submission of the conceptual idea, technical information (such as space requirements and materials) and the financial budget.
The deadline to be considered in the first round of applications is April 1.
Artists will be notified of their grant status by April 8.
The deadline to be considered in the second round of applications is May 1.
Artists will be notified of their grant status by May 6.
After 6th May: Only applications for small amounts and those that DO NOT require any special health and safety checks AND DO NOT require power are taken into consideration (and only if we have any funds left over)
Hey, can I help pick out the art that gets a grant?
Yes! We are forming a committee to review and approve art grants. Please email email@example.com if you are interested in getting involved.
Our Aims and Guidelines
They are an important aspect of what sets it apart from other events. We would like to thank you for considering bringing art to Kiez burn!
Art & creativity are core to Kiez Burn
- Who must register
- How to Apply
- Application Timeline
- After you apply
- Our Aims – What we fund and what we don’t fund
Any artist or performer who is applying for a grant must register their art. The registration form is part of the grant application form.
For all other artists and performers, it is not required, however we strongly encourage you to register. Registering will give you many advantages:
- If you have an installation or have a particular location planned for your workshop/performance, your art will be placed on the official map.
- Please try to be self reliant for power – but if you do want to apply for power needs from the orga, you will need to register to have this opportunity.
- If you need tools, registered projects also might get support (handy if you’ve forgotten your screwdriver, but don’t fancy an 80km trek to get one).
One way Kiez burn supports creative activity is by offering a limited number of financial grants. Depending on the size of the art project, Kiez Burn can support with small grants of 10-50€, or bigger grants up to 500€. Exceptionally, there might be room for art grants above this amount.
- Read this page in full to learn about what type of projects we fund and what you need to do to apply. We will be measuring your application against these and if you haven’t read the guidelines, you might find your application rejected for simple reasons. Think your application through carefully and make sure you meet all the criteria.
- Fill out the 2018 Art Grant Application.
- You can submit extra supporting materials (drawings, photos, videos, etc.) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org (optional).
We stress the importance of submitting as early as possible to increase your chances of getting fully funded. Projects who submit first have a better chance of being fully funded than those who submit at the last minute, since we will distribute the funds over three different rounds.
- 8th February: Art Grant Ideas Form is live
- 16th February: Full Art Grant Form is live
- 1st April: First Round of art grant financing is given by 8th April for all projects, workshops and installations submitted on or by 1st April
- 6th May: Second Round of art grant financing is given by 6th May for all projects, workshops and installations submitted on or by 1st May
- After 6th May: Only applications for small amounts and those that DO NOT require any special health and safety checks are taken into consideration (and if we have any funds left over).
As you prepare your application, remember:
- Please only apply for the amount you need. This will allow us to fund as many projects as possible.
- Funding for any one project will be limited to the grant amounts shown above.
- We do not pay for artists’ time, labour, entrance tickets, or personal travel expenses. The grant is intended to pay for materials and material transportation costs.
- As well as big ideas, we are also interested in small, intimate projects, which is why we offer smaller grants.
- We give priority to art that is interactive and participatory.
- Leave no trace is an integral part of Kiez burn. Make sure you consider this when planning your project. Leave enough time to make sure your project site is completely clean and take all rubbish and materials with you.
We know you’re eager to learn the results of your application, but remember that we are a team of volunteers and need some time to review applications after each submission. We will try our best to respond within two weeks after the submission.
If you are awarded a grant, here are a few things to keep in mind (after you celebrate):
- Start fundraising: Kiez burn Art Grants only pay up to 50-80% of the total cost of your art project, and we do not fund artists’ time, labour, entrance tickets, or personal travel expenses. You will need to find additional funds to pay for the remaining costs. (We have put together a page with tips for crowdfunding campaigns for this purpose.)
- Save your receipts: We only pay grants after the event, after you have submitted valid receipts. These receipts need to be physical!!
- The final payment of the grant may not be the same amount as what we offer initially:
- If your project expenses are lower than you projected in the estimated budget that you submitted, Kiez burn will only reimburse you for 50-80% of the actual costs of your project (not the full grant amount).
- We might not be able to fund at a higher amount, and will only know after our accounting is complete. If we have any money left over in our art grants fund, we will distribute it amongst artists who go over budget
It is our aim to support diverse, eclectic and inspiring art projects. We strive to have a balance of physical, performance and static art. We encourage both experienced and less experienced artists to apply.
We are particularly keen to fund:
- Both large-scale and small-scale projects
- A wide range of projects (in terms of media and impact), from a wide range of people, all delivered effectively
- Projects that respond well to the particular and unique environment of the event
- Art that is designed with an eye to sustainability
- Art that raises awareness about social/environmental/cultural issues
- Participatory projects
- Participatory art requires human interaction to complete a piece. It prompts people to interact with one another, it responds to participants and/or the environment, it causes people to reflect on the larger community, and/or it belongs to the public and exists for the benefit of all
Participatory projects might include:
- Projects that engage with or cross the language barrier
- Projects that work strongly with themes of group identity
- Projects that bring disparate groups of people together
- Projects that facilitate other people making art
- Projects that are inspirational and that go beyond decoration or being ‘just’ spectacular
We also fund art that is open to the public but is hosted by a camp.
We don’t fund…
- Projects that don’t benefit the community
- The same project twice, or additions to a project we’ve already funded